When it comes to the potential of psychedelics, the possibilities extend far beyond mental healthcare and therapeutic effects.
Like a telescope to our inner world, psychedelic plant medicines can actually be used as tools for exploring the nature of mind, consciousness, and reality itself.
As famed psychedelic therapist Stanislav Grof once said, “Psychedelics, used responsibly and with proper caution, could be what the microscope is for biology, or the telescope is for astronomy.”
Towards the psychedelic exploration of mind and consciousness, few tools are more powerful than N,N-DMT, otherwise known as the “Spirit Molecule.”
This substance is so profound that over 80% of DMT users describe their experience as life-changing, as we’ll discuss below.
Today we’ll be sharing 7 fascinating DMT facts that highlight just how profound the mystery of DMT really is.
First, some background…
N, N-DMT is short for N, N-Dimethyltryptamine. This is the same psychoactive substance that is found in Ayahuasca, the ancient shamanic brew that has been used in the Amazon for thousands of years.
DMT was studied by Dr. Rick Strassman in the 1990’s at the University of New Mexico. Over 5 years, Strassman administered around 400 doses of DMT to 60 different research volunteers. He went on to write a book, DMT: The Spirit Molecule, detailing his findings.
Dr. Strassman characterizes the DMT experience as an intense shift in consciousness, which subjectively feels like an out-of-body experience of traveling beyond the physical universe. The DMT experience is truly unique compared to other psychedelics. The effects are felt within only a few seconds after consuming the DMT, and the entire experience only lasts around 15 minutes.
Though it’s brief in duration compared to other psychedelics, the DMT experience is extremely profound. Users describe visiting other realms and dimensions of existence, beyond space and time, and beyond the physical universe itself.
If that sounds bizarre and incredible, wait until you read the 7 fascinating facts below, which highlight how mysterious this substance truly is.
7 Fascinating Facts about DMT
1) DMT naturally occurs in the human body, and in thousands of different species.
- Incredibly enough, DMT is naturally or endogenously produced in the human body. This powerful psychedelic is within each one of us right now. Not only that, but DMT has been found to naturally occur within thousands of different plant and animal species.
2) DMT’s function in human body is unknown
- We know that DMT naturally occurs in the human body. It’s been found in spinal fluid, blood, even urine and different bodily tissues. However, we actually have no idea why the human body produces DMT, or what its role is in our physiology. From an evolutionary perspective, why is the most powerful psychedelic in the world naturally produced in the human body?
3) 80% DMT users describe this as life-changing
- According to this survey out of Johns Hopkins, 80% of DMT users describe their experience as life-changing. This emphasizes how profound the DMT experience is. Oddly enough, DMT trips are also frequently described as feeling viscerally real, or “more real than real.”
4) Over 50% DMT experiencers visit “invisible worlds” or parallel realities
- In his book, DMT: The Spirit Molecule, Dr. Strassman states that over 50% of research participants described journeys to “invisible worlds” or alternate dimensions, beyond the physical universe. It’s incredibly fascinating how often this is described. Are these alternate dimensions hallucinations- or is there some reality to them? What does this interesting feature reveal about the nature of reality?
5) DMT users encounter “entities” that appear conscious and intelligent
- It gets even stranger. DMT users almost universally report that when they arrive in these “invisible worlds,” they encounter entities or beings. This survey out of Johns Hopkins found that an incredible 95% of DMT users described these entities as conscious and intelligent! 72% of the sample believe that these entities are real, and exist independently of their experience. Again, what does this reveal about the nature of reality?
6) DMT experiences closely resemble Near-Death experiences
- Adding to the mystery of DMT, it’s astonishing to note that DMT experiences closely resemble near death experiences. This has been officially documented in scientific research, as shown here. How can we explain this mysterious connection between DMT and NDEs?
7) DMT is a promising treatment for stroke victims
- New research trials are investigating DMT as a treatment for stroke victims. Multiple independent studies have demonstrated that DMT promotes neurogenesis as well as structural and functional neural plasticity. These are key factors for healing following a brain injury.
Lastly, check out the video interview below, where Jonas, Inner Vision’s founder, interviews Dr. Rick Strassman!
Could DMT possibly offer a glimpse into the nature of consciousness and reality itself? What are we to make of the DMT experiences of visiting alternate realms or dimensions of existence?
Is there any truth to these other realms of existence, or are they all merely hallucinatory aspects of a psychedelic experience?
Certainly, the DMT mystery is deepened by the fact that it is naturally produced in the human body. This seems to suggests that it could some profound implications for our understanding of the nature of reality.
DMT users themselves often conclude that there is more to reality than a physical universe, and more to consciousness than the physical brain. Whether or not that is true, remains to be seen.
To learn more about how to safely explore DMT, please book a session with us at the link below!